Sunday, April 1, 2012

Opening Day: One of the Reasons to Train

Today was the opening day of my baseball team's season and, as usual, we play a doubleheader on Sundays.
Against one of the better teams in the league we won both games, 5-3 and 13-3, to start the season. It bodes well for the season as we got "younger" which is always relative when you're playing in a 48+ baseball league! :)
But today is one of the reasons I train so hard all winter as it prepares me physically for the demands of baseball.
Some people may pooh-pooh the idea of needing training to play baseball as they view it as very unathletic with not much action.
Those would be people that are very ignorant and don't know what they're talking about and confuse running around with athleticism.
The fact of the matter is that baseball requires a lot of explosive power, quickness and agility which is further complicated by the fact that the action in baseball tends to come in sporadic spurts. It is not more continuous in nature like soccer or lacrosse but that doesn't diminish the athletic demands of baseball.
In fact, my training prepares me for both squash and baseball which to many people may appear to be at opposite ends of the athletic spectrum. But, in reality, the greatest difference between the two sports is more in their metabolic, or conditioning, demands then in the other aspects of athleticism. In fact, as an outfielder there is much more high level sprinting in baseball than in squash. I know first hand as I had to chase down several well hit balls today! :)
So the point is that my "off-season" training prepares me for my baseball season to perform at my best as well as reduce my chance of injury.

Train hard and train smart!
htt://fitnesstogether.com/media for our website and all of our links

No comments:

Post a Comment