Saturday, March 10, 2012

Need to Do the Skill Work as Well

Though this title may be a statement of the obvious it was confirmed yesterday again for me when I played in the US Masters Squash championships at Harvard.
Though clearly I moved better, was quicker and all those good things than my opponent my squash skills and execution left something to be desired.
Esp. in skill based sports like squash, tennis, soccer, and baseball the athleticism without the skill is almost meaningless. Just ask Michael Jordan how that baseball experiment went for him back in the day.
I knew going in to this tournament that I didn't have the on court time that I really needed but life, work and family got in the way and I shortchanged myself in that regard.
Next year I have to promise myself that I won't let that happen again. I have to bring up my squash skills to match my athletic skills and then I will be able to optimize my ability.
If you are a involved in a skill based sport don't make the same mistake I did. Do the necessary skill work to fully optimize your athletic traits.

Train hard and train smart!
http://fitnesstogether.com/media for our website and all of our links

No comments:

Post a Comment