Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Yesterday's Training: Strength Training

Yesterday I embarked on another journey on Wendler's  5-3-1 strength training program which I have used with good success in the past and go back to for various cycles quite a bit.
   My core lifts will be the clean from the floor, bench press and sumo deadlift.
      I will make slight variations to the bench press as I can't do prolonged benching without some trauma to my shoulders so I will likely substitute dumbbell work occasionally which my shoulders can tolerate much better than a constant diet of flat bench presses.

Warmup: Tabletop hamstring & hip rotators, ankle mobs, wall slides, arm circles, goblet squat holds, lateral squats, 1/2 kneeling hip flexor, open hip t-spine rotation

Workout: Power cleans from floor 4 x 4 @ 120, 135, 155, 160; Dog Bone chins 4 x 6 supersetted w/RFESS 4 x 10 @ 30 lbs. each; 1 arm KB swings 4 x 8 ea. @ 45 lbs; Double KB carries 3 x 75 yds. @ 32 kg.

Comments: Though the 5-3-1 system calls for the last set to be a max rep set I don't believe in that for technical lifts such as the clean. Too much chance for poor technique and thus injury IMO. So I stuck with sets of 4 to ensure my technique stayed relatively "clean" (no pun intended)!

Train hard and train smart!
http://fitnesstogether.com/media for our website and all of our links.

No comments:

Post a Comment