Monday, August 27, 2012

Improvising When/Where Necessary to Train

  It is easy for life's little inconveniences to give you a ready made excuse to not do your day's training but then that is just a crutch or the easy way out of training with any consistency.
    Sometimes you just have to go with the flow and improvise a training session to "git ir dun"!
     Today was such a day for me as I couldn't get to the gym so I used my outdoor gym which I hadn't done in a while.
  Over the years I have accumulated a few "toys" that allow me to put together a pretty neat outdoor gym setup: kettlebells, heavy clubbells, TRX, rings and the like. You can put together a pretty awesome training session with these tools, believe me.
   Today's session was a circuit with these 5 exercises:


  • Clubbell swings x 12 @ 20 lbs. ea.
  • Thick rope L-seat chins x 8
  • TRX suspended lunge x 12 ea.
  • Rip Trainer baseball horizontal chops x 10 ea.
  • Ring pushups on 1 leg   x 20
   I did the circuit 4 times with 1 minute recovery between circuits (each circuit took about 2.5 minutes) so it was a negative work/recovery ratio. 
   Total time from start to finish, including recovery, was less than 15 minutes.
     I hit the major movements with a horizontal push, vertical pull, hip hinge/hip dominant, knee dominant, and a rotational core/trunk movement. In addition, the clubbell swings did double duty as they were an explosive exercise as well. 
  I strength trained like this outdoors in quite a while as the summer was mostly inhospitable to this type of training, at least where I live! :)

Train hard and train smart!
http://fitnesstogether.com/media for our website and all of our links

No comments:

Post a Comment