Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Today's Training: Resisted Sprints/contrast sprints

Today was the 6th consecutive day of what I call "High Impact" training. What do I mean by that term? Several years ago, when I was in my early 50's, I realized I couldn't hammer with high intensity, high impact training day after day without hampering my recovery efforts as well as taking a toll on my joints. I know that may seem like it took me a while to figure things out but what can I say, I'm slow that way! :) In any event I started organizing my training between what I called "high impact" days (sprinting, baseball, squash, plyos, etc.) and what I considered "low impact" days (generally mobility work and strength training). One could argue my classifications but it's my training, my body and I understand how I react to certain training stresses better than anyone else. So bottom line was I tried not to have too many "high impact" days in a row and organized and planned my training accordingly. It has seemed to work well as I've had no serious injuries and have been able to train hard and consistently. But for whatever reason the last 6 days were different and went something like this: Thursday: Long sprints Friday: Hill sprints Saturday: Squash (10 games) Sunday: Acceleration sprints & softball Monday: Squash (10 games) Today/Tuesday: Resisted sprints/contrast sprints I have survived these last 6 days none the worse for wear though I don't plan on pushing the envelope that hard anytime in the near future. Today's Session Warmup: Ankle mobs, Scap pushups, No Moneys, Low Box Hip Flexor, 1/2 kneeling adductor, Leg swings, open hip t-spine rotation, March Series Workout: Med ball work: MB wall dribbles 2 x 15 sec. @ 4 lbs; Med ball chest passes off wall: 2 x 12 @ 18 lbs; Med ball side toss 2 x 8 ea. @ 18 lbs.; Med ball Scoop tosses 2 x 6 @ 18 lbs. Resisted "fly" 20's w/ 30 yd. fly-in: 4 x w/ 35 lb. parachute Contrast "fly" 20's w/" " " : 4 x Box Jumps 3 x 5 Comments: Good training session; like the flying 20's...good top end speed work. The contrast "flys" felt good as well. Will try to integrate them more into my training plan over next several weeks. Train hard and train smart! http://fitnesstogether.com/media for our website and all of our links

No comments:

Post a Comment