Friday, June 29, 2012

Yesterday's Training: Conditioning

  I have committed ( or maybe should be committed! :) to a Spartan Sprint race in several weeks so despite the heat in Charlottesville, VA. yesterday I went out and did some running in 95+ degree heat. Not wise, I know but I monitored myself closely and made sure I stayed hydrated. I also drank a lot when I was finished.
   But even at that I just didn't go "jogging". I knew there was a turf soccer field nearby so I ran to the soccer field and then did some springs.
  Specifically: 8 x 100 meters w/ 1 min. recovery, followed by a steep hill sprint to finish that portion of the training sesssion.
   Then I "cooled down"(term used loosely here) by running back to my hotel.
     Observations/comments: First, the reason I did it was that I needed a little more aerobic training than more normal training regimen.
   2nd, this Spartan Sprint is in mid-July, mid day so who knows what the weather will be like today. I felt a little acclimatization would be a good thing.
  3rd, this type of training, in this type of weather creates a certain "hardening" if you will that isn't necessarily a bad thing. You just have to be mindful of what your body is doing and take the necessary precautions like hydrating well and monitoring what is going on in your body. In other words, take a break or walk if necessary. There is nothing smart about collapsing from heat exhaustion!

Train hard and train smart!
http://fitnesstogether.com/media for our website and all of our links.

No comments:

Post a Comment