Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Today's Training: Bodyweight Strength Training

  I really like bodyweight strength training and it's become an increasing part of my training programs as I've gotten older as it seems friendlier on the joints and ultimately good, clean movement is more dependent on relative strength than absolute strength in my opinion.
    That being said don't think that bodyweight training is for wimps. All you have to do is look at elite male gymnasts to see what bodyweight training can do for your strength and development.
   This is also a prep/anatomical adaptation program for 4 weeks before I go into some heavier lifting.

Warmup: Indian clubs, ankle mobs, quad rocks, cat/camels, Figure 4 stretch, 1/2 kneeling adductor, open hip t-spine rotation, low box hip flexor

Workout:

  • Band resisted long jumps: 3 x 5
  • Swissball pike pressups-3 x 12 supersetted with
  • Spud grip neutral grip chins: 3 x 12
  • 1 x 330 yd. sprint
  • RFESS-3 x 15 supersetted with
  • Hanging straight leg raises: 3 x8
  • 1 x 330 yd. sprint
  • 45 degree back raise hold: 3 x 60 seconds supersetted with
  • Cook hip lifts-3 x 10 ea.
Comments: Throwing those long sprints into the workout at various times makes it that much more intense. Wish I had been wearing my heart rate monitor. 

Train hard and train smart!
http://fitnesstogether.com/media

No comments:

Post a Comment