Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Today's Training: Fixed Gear Cycling for Recovery

  Now that I have my single speed, fixed gear bike in operating order I am taking advantage and trying to ride 3-4 times weekly to supplement my sprint running training sessions.
   For those of you unfamiliar with a fixed gear, single speed bike it is exactly that: it has one gear and you can't "free wheel"...you have to be constantly pedaling.
  Initially, this can be a bit of an adjustment and I had some near misses when I started out but eventually you figure it out and it is a lot of fun as well as a challenge esp. on hills where there is no easier gear to shift to so you must grind it out or get off and walk.
   The advantage of fixed gear bikes are many:
a. The essence of biking simplicity.
b. Smooths out your pedaling stroke
c. You are constantly working so you get more "work" done in the same amount of time as there is no coasting.
d. No impact aerobic training so great for recovery days if that is your choice.

    Today I went for a 40 minute ride on relatively flat terrain and had a blast. Again, in keeping with the simplicity them I had no cycle computer and no heart rate monitor...I just rode for a certain time. Works for me.


Train hard and train smart!
http://fitnesstogether.com/media for our website and all of our links

No comments:

Post a Comment