Wednesday, June 15, 2011

My Thoughts on Training Masters Athletes

As both a lifetime competitive athlete and still playing competitively in at least two sports, baseball and squash, I felt there was a dearth of information out there on training older/masters athletes. This will be my attempt to remedy that situation.
I am not only a competitive Masters athlete but have been a strength coach/trainer and coach for over 25 years so I am coming at this project from those two perspectives. From my experience anyway there aren't too many that are both competing and training athletes...but I could be wrong. It wouldn't be the first time! :)
I feel there are many websites/blogs, etc.out there that address youth sports training and, obviously, training college and elite level athletes. I'm not aware of too many, if any, that are geared solely towards the Masters athlete and that will be our mission: to address the training of Masters athletes in a comprehensive, holistic approach. And perhaps unlike other advice in this area this will come from a practical, in the trenches approach as both athlete and strength/performance coach.
Masters sports has grown tremendously since the Baby Boomers hit that age (40+) and decided that they didn't want to give up their lifelong love of whatever their chosen sport/competitive outlet.
We will attempt to bridge this information gap with this blog and we hope that you enjoy it!

Train hard and smart!
http://fitnesstogether.com/media for our website and all of our links

No comments:

Post a Comment